This blog runs on WordPress of course and uses the Atahualpa theme framework. If you want a theme that’s professional looking, easy to customize, and free, look no further than Atahualpa. The blog is hosted at A Small Orange, a great hosting provider with excellent customer service.
My Atahualpa settings can be found in this export file. Import it into your installation, customize, modify, and you should have a similar layout to this blog. (This file is as of 13 March 2015).
By way of plugins this blog uses Crayon Syntax Highlighter for all the code highlights. Crayon is an ahhh-maa-zing plugin. I just love it to bits for its ease of use and sheer number of options. And it makes my code snippets look beauu-tiii-ful! I modified the GitHub theme to make it more plain and use that as my Crayon theme.
For better performance this blog uses:
- WP Super Cache, which converts all the dynamic PHP pages into static pages so there’s less load on the web server and the pages are displayed faster.
For security this blog uses:
- Authenticator to enable Google Authenticator support for the admin page. (I find that very cool!)
- Limit Login Attempts to limit the number of incorrect login attempts from a particular IP.
- Am sure there are many more excellent security plugins. I just haven’t got around to checking them out. Will keep this list updated as I add more plugins.
Lastly, I also use(d):
- Itemprop WP to add structured markup to my posts (for SEO).
- Google XML Sitemaps to generate XML sitemaps for search engines.
- UpdraftPlus to backup my blog to Dropbox.
- CloudFlare to accelerate the website (disabled for now as I found the blog slightly faster without it; of course CloudFlare has other benefits too).
- Google PageSpeed Insights and Yahoo Y!Slow to check out the site performance and optimize based on their suggestions.
- Creative Commons Configurator to help publish my content under a Creative Commons license.
- Archive Chart to show a nice graph of my posting frequency on the About Blog page.
- Redirection to handle some 301 redirects.
- Google Fonts for fonts: Roboto, Merriweather, Ubuntu Mono.