Good quotes from various people
Stuff I agree with, expressed much better than I ever could.
- To know what you do not know is half the knowledge itself. – Ancient Arabic saying
- The beginning of wisdom is in calling all things by their right name. – Confucius
- To attain knowledge, add things everyday. To attain wisdom, remove things everyday. – Lao Tse
- Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. – Rumi
- The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution. – Bertrand Russell
- If imagination is not set to the task of building a creative life, it busies itself with weaving a web of inner fears and doubts, blame and excuse. – Laurence G. Boldt
- Dream is not what you see in sleep, Dream is which does not let you sleep. – Abdul Kalam (former President of India)
- Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward. – Kurt Vonnegut
- Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy. The amount of work is the same. – Francesca Reigler
- You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. – Harvent Dent (“The Dark Knight”)
- If you’re good at something, never do it for free. – The Joker (“The Dark Knight”)
- Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up. – Alfred (“Batman Begins”)
- When you play the game of thrones you win or you die. There is no middle ground. – Cersei Barathon (“Game of Thrones”)
Stuff I liked
From “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” (book):
What she had realised was that love was that moment when your heart was about to burst.
Then she sat as if paralysed, thinking. She had never in her life felt such a longing. She wanted Mikael Blomkvist to ring the doorbell and… what then? Lift her off the ground, hold her in his arms? Passionately take her into the bedroom and tear off her clothes? No, she really just wanted his company. She wanted to hear him say that he liked her for who she was. That she was someone special in his world and in his life. She wanted him to give her some gesture of love, not just of friendship and companionship. I’m flipping out, she thought.
She had no faith in herself. Blomkvist lived in a world populated by people with respectable jobs, people with orderly lives and lots of grown-up points. His friends did things, went on TV, and shaped the headlines. What do you need me for? Salander’s greatest fear, which was so huge and so black that it was of phobic proportions, was that people would laugh at her feelings. And all of a sudden all her carefully constructed self-confidence seemed to crumble.
From “Love, Actually” (movie):
[on sheets of poster board]
Mark: With any luck, by next year – I’ll be going out with one of these girls.
[shows pictures of beautiful supermodels]
Mark: But for now, let me say – Without hope or agenda – Just because it’s Christmas – And at Christmas you tell the truth – To me, you are perfect – And my wasted heart will love you – Until you look like this.
[picture of a mummy]
Mark: Merry Christmas.
From “Chef” (movie):
I may not do everything great in my life, but I’m good at this. I manage to touch people’s lives with what I do and I want to share this with you.
From “Troy” (movie):
Briseis: Why did you choose this life?
Achilles: What life?
Briseis: To be a great warrior.
Achilles: I chose nothing. I was born and this is what I am.
From “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” (movie):
Logan: I’m the best there is at what I do, and what I do best isn’t very nice. I’m the Wolverine.