Contact

Subscribe via Email

Subscribe via RSS/JSON

Categories

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
© Rakhesh Sasidharan

Elsewhere

VCSA 6.5 – Could not connect to one or more vCenter Server systems?

Had to shutdown VCSA 6.5 in our environment recently (along with every other VM in there actually) and upon restarting it later I couldn’t connect to it. The Web UI came up but was stuck on a message that it was waiting for all services to start (I didn’t take a screenshot so can’t give the exact message here). I was unable to start all the services via the service-control command either.

The /var/log/vmware/vpxd/vpxd.log file pointed me in the right direction. Turns out the issue was name resolution. Even though my DNS providing VM was powered on, it didn’t have network connectivity (since vCenter was down and the DNS VM connects to a vDS? not sure). Workaround was to move it to a standard switch and then I was able to start all the VCSA services.

Later on I came across this KB article. Should have just added an entry for VCSA into its /etc/hosts file.

VCSA migration – “A problem occurred while logging in. Verify the connection details.”

So, I was trying out a Windows vCenter 5.5 to VCSA 6.5 appliance migration and at the stage where I enter the target ESX host name where the appliance will be deployed to I got the above error.

Wasted the better part of my day troubleshooting this as I could find absolutely no mention of what was causing this. The installer log had the following but that didn’t shed much light either.

Tried stuff like 1) try a different ESX host, 2) update it to a later version (it was 5.5 Build 3568722), 3) turn on the ESX Shell and SSH in case that mattered – but nothing helped!

Nothing came up regarding the “vimService creation failed: Error” line either. But then I began Googling on “vimService” and learnt that it is the vSphere Management SDK and that you access the SDK via a URL like https://servername/sdk. That got me thinking whether the VCSA installer looks to the proxy settings of the machine where I am running it from, so I turned off the proxy settings in IE – and that helped!

Who would have thought. :)