A while ago I was reading up on the Domain Controller process to confirm some stuff before changes I was making at work. Found a couple of good links, still got them open in my browser but before closing them out I thought I should paste them here as a reference to myself. I know most of the info, but occasionally you forget what you know or need a quick confirmation.
- http://blog.joeware.net/2015/03/31/5599/ – AD Sites without DCs aren’t bad (very informative!)
- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961830.aspx – Domain Controller locator
- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978011.aspx – Domain Controller location process
- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978016.aspx – Finding a Domain Controller in the closest site (very informative!)
- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759550.aspx – How DNS support for AD works
- The SiteCoverage and AutoSiteCoverage parameters. These are registry keys per DC.
- The latter determines whether a DC can automatically add other sites to be under its coverage.
- The former specifies a list of additional sites (in addition to the auto coverage that is) that the DC can take under its coverage.
- “Under its coverage” basically means create appropriate DNS records so that clients in that site know it can contact this DC too. :)