Pretty straightforward, but it’s not obvious whether cloning the machine will also sysprep. It does not. So after cloning the machine, don’t forget to sysprep it.
- Ensure the VM is powered off.
- Right click the VM > Manage > Clone.
- The cloning wizard is launched. Go ahead with it. I chose the full clone option.
- After cloning power up the machine. At this point it is identical to the original so it’s best the original is kept powered off to avoid any conflicts.
- Login to the machine, go to
sysprep.exe. Keep the default system cleanup action but click Generalize so the SIDs etc are recreated. I selected to reboot under Shutdown Options.
- That’s pretty much it. Upon reboot you are given the option of logging in with the local accounts; upon logging in you have to change the password.
- Now set the IP, name, etc as usual. Enjoy!
These instructions apply to all versions of Windows. Server Core 2012 is just what I used it with.