Contact

Subscribe via Email

Subscribe via RSS/JSON

Categories

Recent Posts

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
© Rakhesh Sasidharan

Elsewhere

vCenter – Cannot load the users for the selected domain

I spent the better part of today evening trying to sort this issue. But didn’t get any where. I don’t want to forget the stuff I learnt while troubleshooting so here’s a blog post.

Today evening I added one of my ESXi hosts to my domain. The other two wouldn’t add, until I discovered that the time on those two hosts were out of sync. I spent some time trying to troubleshoot that but didn’t get anywhere. The NTP client on these hosts was running, the ports were open, the DC (which was also the forest PDC and hence the time keeper) was reachable – but time was still out of sync.

Found an informative VMware KB article. The ntpq command (short for “NTP query”) can be used to see the status of NTP daemon on the client side. Like thus:

The command has an interactive mode (which you get into if run without any switches; read the manpage for more info). The -p switch tells ntpq to output a list of peers and their state. The KB article above suggests running this command every 2 seconds using the watch command but you don’t really need to do that.

Important points about the output of this command:

  • If it says “No association ID's returned” it means the ESXi host cannot reach the NTP server. Considering I didn’t get that, it means I have no connectivity issue.
  • If it says “***Request timed out” it means the response from the NTP server didn’t get through. That’s not my problem either.
  • If there’s an asterisk before the remote server name (like so) it means there is a huge gap between the time on the host and the time given by the NTP server. Because of the huge gap NTP is not changing the time (to avoid any issues caused by a sudden jump in the OS time). Manually restarting the NTP daemon (/etc/init.d/ntpd restart) should sort it out.
    • The output above doesn’t show it but one of my problem hosts had an asterisk. Restarting the daemon didn’t help.

The refid field shows the time stream to which the client is syncing. For instance here’s the w3tm output from my domain:

Notice the PDC has a refid of LOCL (indicating it is its own time source) while the rest have a refid of the PDC name. My ESXi host has a refid of .INIT. which means it has not received any response from the NTP server (shouldn’t the error message have been something else!?). So that’s the problem in my case.

Obviously the PDC is working because all my Windows machines are keeping correct time from it. So is vCenter. But some my ESXi hosts aren’t.

I have no idea what’s wrong. After some troubleshooting I left it because that’s when I discovered my domain had some inconsistencies. Fixing those took a while, after which I hit upon a new problem – vCenter clients wouldn’t show me vCenter or any hosts when I login with my domain accounts. Everything appears as expected under the administrator@vsphere.local account but the domain accounts return a blank.

While double-checking that the domain admin accounts still have permissions to vCenter and SSO I came across the following error:

Cannot load the users

Great! (The message is “Cannot load the users for the selected domain“).

I am using the vCenter appliance. Digging through the /var/log/messages on this I found the following entries:

Searched Google a bit but couldn’t find any resolutions. Many blog posts suggested removing vCenter from the domain and re-adding but that didn’t help. Some blog posts (and a VMware KB article) talk about ensuring reverse PTR records exist for the DCs – they do in my case. So I am drawing a blank here.

Odd thing is the appliance is correctly connected to the domain and can read the DCs and get a list of users. The appliance uses Likewise (now called PowerBroker Open) to join itself to the domain and authenticate with it. The /opt/likewise/bin directory has a bunch of commands which I used to verify domain connectivity:

All looks well! In fact, I added a user to my domain and re-ran the lw-enum-users command it correctly picked up the new user. So the appliance can definitely see my domain and get a list of users from it. The problem appears to be in the upper layers.

In /var/log/vmware/sso/ssoAdminServer.log I found the following each time I’d query the domain for users via the SSO section in the web client:

Makes no sense to me but the problem looks to be in Java/ SSO.

I tried removing AD from the list of identity sources in SSO (in the web client) and re-added it. No luck.

Tried re-adding AD but this time I used an SPN account instead of the machine account. No luck!

Finally I tried adding AD as an LDAP Server just to see if I can get it working somehow – and that clicked! :)

AD as LDAP

So while I didn’t really solve the problem I managed to work around it …

Update: Added the rest of my DCs as time sources to the ESXi hosts and restarted the ntpd service. Maybe that helped, now NTP is working on the hosts.

 

vCenter – Cannot load the users for the selected domain by rakhesh is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.