Contact

Subscribe via Email

Subscribe via RSS/JSON

Categories

Recent Posts

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
© Rakhesh Sasidharan

Elsewhere

Fixing “The task XML contains too many nodes of the same type” error

I imported a scheduled task into Windows Task Scheduler yesterday and that had some incorrect XML because of which each time I’d open Task Scheduler it would throw the following error at me: The task XML contains too many nodes of the same type. What does that mean? No idea! Going through the XML file I imported from, I noticed some errors. So perhaps that’s the reason.

Ok, so can I delete this task from Task Scheduler? Nope! Each time I open Task Scheduler I get the above error but I don’t get to see the task.

What about schtasks? I can see the task through that but I can’t make any changes!

I tried creating a new task to over-write the existing one, but schtasks complains that the task already exists. (Update: While writing this post I came across the the /f switch to schtasks /create – maybe that would have helped?)

Finally here’s what I did.

I found that all the scheduled tasks are located in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks. There are various subkeys here of a format {GUID}. Within each of these there is a value of name Path whose data portion contains the task name (with a folder name if the task is in a folder).

Apart from that we have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\ which has subkeys corresponding to each task. Each of these subkeys has a value of name Id whose data is the GUID found above.

I deleted the subkeys corresponding to this problem task from both the locations above. That helped as Task Scheduler stopped complaining when I opened it. And which schtasks still shows the task, that just seems to be a skeleton of the actual thing:

Unfortunately I still can’t delete it via <code>schtasks</code>:

However, now I can overwrite this task. So I created a dummy task over-writing this one and then deleted it!

Update: While writing this post I discovered that c:\Windows\System32\Tasks is where the XML files for tasks are stored. So it looks like if I had deleted the task from this folder – apart from the registry keys above – that should have taken care of it.

Hope this helps someone!

Fixing “The task XML contains too many nodes of the same type” error by rakhesh is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.