ReAgentC: Operation failed: 3

The other day I mentioned that whenever I run ReAgentC I get the following error – 

I posted to the Microsoft Community forums hoping to get a solution. The suggested solutions didn’t seem to help but oddly ReAgentC is now working – not sure why. 

One thing I learnt is that the error code 3 means a path is not found. My system didn’t have any corruptions (both sfc /scannow and dism /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth gave it a clean chit) and I did a System Restore too to a point back in time when I know ReAgentC was working well but that didn’t help either. Windows RE itself was working fine as I was able to boot into it. 

In the end I shutdown the laptop and left it for a couple of days as I had other things to do. And when looked at it today ReAgentC was surprisingly working!

I am not sure why it is now working. One theory is that a few updates were applied automatically as I was shutting down the laptop so maybe they fixed some corruption. Or maybe when I booted into Windows RE and booted back that fixed something? (I don’t remember whether I tried ReAgentC after booting back from Windows RE. I think I did but I am not sure). 

Here’s a little PowerShell to find all the updates installed in the last 3 days. Thought I’d post it because I am pleased I came up with it and also maybe it will help someone else. 

This will only work in Windows 8 and above (I haven’t tried but I think installing the Windows Management Framework 4.0 on Windows 7 SP1 and/ or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 will get it working on those OSes too). 

Update: And it stopped working again the next day! The laptop was on overnight. The next day I rebooted as it had some pending updates. After the reboot we are back to square one. Of course I removed those two updates and rebooted to see if that helps. It doesn’t. 

 Fun! :)